Sunday, August 17, 2008

Nice Weekend

The weekend started well with a two hour spin on the 29er single speed. I put a 16t cog on the back with the 32 chainring on front. I stole the cog off of an old cassette to see how it would spin. Because of the worn nature of the cog I dropped the chain a couple of times over some roots (not a good place to drop a chain, woods, mosquitoes). Otherwise I figured out that I should go with a 15t around here. I am going to order a surly 15t cog soon! Riding the single speed is my new weapon of choice. I really enjoy it, I don't have to worry about blowing up derailleurs, and I don't have the constant bob of the fork. I also find that I have more confidence in single track and especially log piles. After the bike ride, I got cleaned up and we went down to see the river. They drew the levels down about 9 feet by that time and we went to see what the river bed looks like. There were these similar sized piles of rocks that had pilings around them. They must be remnants of the logging days. That kind of stuff is cool, and I think it is cool that the DNR is not allowing anyone to take any of that out.

The evening included watching the Packers pregame. I usually don't take much stock in preseason games. The scores and wins/losses don't mean anything. I did find myself wanting to take back my support of Ted Thompson as the offense looked really bad. The line was porous, the quarterback looked stunned, and the receivers didn't want to catch the ball. The D looked all right, but I don't understand why they would let people see the new 2-5-4 defense in preseason. It looks effective, but why waste that now? It could be a long year.

Today we hung out a bit. I made buckwheat pancakes for the kids and after our bellies were full we went to Sunset Lake for a couple of hours. It is a beautiful spring fed lake with a sandy bottom and not much vegetation. There were probably 100 other people there enjoying the day as well. Lorelei and the kids have been out there a couple of times this summer, but I haven't. I did my best Michael Phelps imitation out there, but I am pretty sure I will never be a 14 time gold medal winner in swimming.

Peace

cd

No comments: