Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Winter of my Discontent

I have my fourth cold of the winter. I am tired of being sick. Our daughter, Malefocent, is in school and is bringing EVERYTHING home. I used to never get sick. I have tried everything. Lots of fruit, zinc, psuedofed, not doing anything, misters. IT SUCKS. I wanted to start riding tomorrow, but right now I have two ear infections, unproductive cough, and a stuffed head/sinus. Why must I be punished?

On a better note, I finished my last big assignment for this semester. I have to do a final proofread of the final assembled project and prepare a 7 minute talk, but then I will be done with that class. I cannot wait for the semester to be finished. We have so many plans this summer, both as a family and by myself.

Last year I lost my passion for biking. I "did one" 24 hour race last year. We signed up for the 12 hour duo and I managed one lap before the beer started calling. It just wasn't fun. I have learned that I don't like racing, or anything remotely related to racing. I don't like the attitude, the racing itself, and the atmosphere. I just like to ride. Mountain, road, bike paths. I am totally getting back into it this summer. Once per weekend will be trips to Standing Rocks. I will master that trail before the summer ends. Three to four days per week on the road at work, and an occasional la de da ride at night after the family is in bed. There is something so zen about riding at night. Especially on those humid nights when the moon is still out. Some of my best thoughts and introspections have happened at those times.

The highlight of the summer is my 10 year anniversary of being married to my wife, Anastasia Beverhausen. It has been the best 10 years of my life, and she has given me our beautiful children. I am planning an adventure, but Anastasia will read this so it has to be done in secret.

cheers

cd

No comments: