Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gary Benson

I am back from the funeral on Friday. The funeral was touching and reminded me greatly of my dad's. There were a lot of the same people there, a sports theme, and the stories of a very good man that touched many lives in a positive way. Gary was a central figure in the athletic development of many of my childhood friends and myself. His personality was always bigger than the room he walked into, and in a good way. He was always supportive and he was never at a loss to offer constructive criticism. I saw him many times when I was between colleges and he ALWAYS asked me what my plans were, as if to say why aren't you in school. I appreciated those conversations greatly. He left behind a wonderful wife, two great sons, a beautiful daugher-in-law, and two beautiful grandchildren. When the good ones go too early, it always hurts more and this one hurt a lot.

Peace be with you Bensons and Gary.

chuck

No comments: